Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Entered for safe-keeping, from Kuhn Rikon's "Quick Cuisine". The smallest p.c. K-R recommends is 5 quarts. This minestrone is remarkable for the absence of beans. The base is a hearty beef vegetable soup.
- 2 bacon, slices chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped (220 g)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks, white parts only, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 head cabbage (chopped or shredded)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs beef shank
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock or 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In a 5-quart or larger pressure cooker, heat bacon over medium-high heat.
- After bacon has released some oil, stir in onion. Cook until onion is transparent.
- Add garlic, carrots, leeks, cabbage, celery, tomatoes, leeks, cabbage, celery, tomatoes, rosemary, parsley, oregano, beef shank, stock, salt and pepper. Stir to mix.
- Secure lid and bring to 1st red ring (low pressure) over high heat. Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at 1st red ring (low pressure). Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Follow directions for your p.c. for quick release; for Kuhn Rikon, press steam valve with wooden spoon in short bursts.
- Remove lid and remove beef shank. When cool enough to handle, carve meat off bone and cut beef into bite-size pieces. Return beef to soup.
- Add macaroni and rice.
- Secure lid and bring pressure to 1st red ring (low pressure) over high heat. Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at 1st red ring (low pressure). Cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow pressure to reduce naturally.
- Remove lid and serve in bowls and garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.