Recipe by House
Delicious twist on a classic soup. Found in Penzeys Harvest 2006 catalogue.
Top Review by smith.diane805
Finally a recipe with Italian Sausage. I lost my favorite minestrone soup recipe,but this is very close to mine. I happen to love kidney beans so I use those. Kidney beans are the most nutritious of all beans. I also use broken vermicelli instead of macaroni.
- 2 lbs Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, peeled and chopped into coins
- 2 small zucchini, halved and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 head cabbage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 3 teaspoons beef base
- 10 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) canswhite cannellini beans
- 1 cup dry small shell pasta
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- romano cheese, for topping each bowl (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large, nonstick skillet, brown sausage over medium heat 5-7 minutes, stirring.
- When it is browned on all sides, set aside to drain on paper towels.
- In a soup pot, cook the onion in the olive oil over medium heat until soft, about.
- five minutes.
- Add the tomatos, cabbage, garlic, basil, pepper, bay leaves and parsley. Stir.
- to combine.
- Add the beef base, water and cooked sausage.
- Simmer for 30 minutes over medium low heat, then raise heat to high to bring
- to a boil.
- Add the dry pasta and white beans.
- Cook until the pasta is done, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve, or reduce heat to low and simmer until ready to eat.
- Serve each bowl topped with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.