Recipe by ChrysalisUnfurled
This recipe was originally from "ENJOY – More Recipes from the Best of Bridge" but has been modified by my Aunt Marcia...who really knows her stuff! This is the best Minestrone Soup I have tasted, it turned out even better than I could have hoped.
- 1 lb medium ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion (1 large or 2 small)
- 1 cup diced zucchini (I use 2)
- 1⁄2 cup diced okra
- 1 cup cubed potato (I used 2 med and 1 small sweet potato)
- 1 cup sliced carrot (I used about 3)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup rice or 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄2 cup noodles
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water or 1 1⁄2 quarts beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon leaf thyme
- 3 teaspoons salt, to taste (or less)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef.
- Add vegetables, water and seasoning and bring to boil.
- Sprinkle rice or barley and noodles into mixture. Cover and simmer at least 1 hour.
- Serve sprinkled with grated parmesan cheese.
- Best cooked longer and the day before. Chill and skim off fat.
- You can really use whatever veggies you like. If it is too thick, thin with water, beef broth, tomato juice or vegetable juice.