Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great vegetarian soup, perfect for a cold winter day. Not made with beef or beef stock.
- 1 ounce olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced potato
- 1⁄2 cup diced zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup green beans, trimmed and cut 1-inch long
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 4 ounces small shell pasta
- 1 (14 ounce) can great northern beans
- salt & pepper
- Heat oil in a stock pot and saute the garlic and onion until transparent.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, zucchini and herbs and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Add the green beans, cover and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Uncover and remove the bay leaf.
- Add the pasta and cook until tender.
- Add water or more stock if necessary.
- Add the Great Northern Beans and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.