Recipe by Galley Wench
NOTICE: PLEASE OPEN EDIT TO SEE THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF INGREDIENTS. This thick hearty vegetable and bean soup gets it intensity from pancetta, an unsmoked seasoned bacon available in Italian food stores. If necessary substitute lean slab bacon, but first simmer it in water to cover for 5 minutes, then drain, pat dry and chop. Or, for a vegetarian soup, omit the pancetta. Because the vinegar is stirred in at the end, use the best brand you can find.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Fabulous soup. I agree with Dr. Jenny -- the red wine and balsamic vinegar flavours are pronounced. The clove is obvious, too. I used top-of-the-line balsamic, and added a pinch of basil, green beans, snow peas, lima beans and a sprinkling of parmesan. Yummo!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 yellow onion, coursely chopped
- 1 celery rib, with leave cut into 1/4 in thick slices
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/4 inch thick half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 firmly packed cups shredded savoy cabbage (or spinach, fresh or frozen)
- 1 (16 ounce) canpeeled chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef broth or 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth or 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the following ingredients in the order given, cooking 1 minute before adding the next; onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, garlic and cabbage.
- Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Stir in the water, broth, red wine, salt,thyme,cloves and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, approximately 1 hour. Stir in the beans and cook for 5 minutes just until heated through.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Serve hot.