1/2 Photos of Minestrone Soup (Modena Style)
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
NOTICE: PLEASE OPEN EDIT TO SEE THE CORRECT AMOUNT OF INGREDIENTS. This thick hearty vegetable and bean soup gets it intensity from pancetta, an unsmoked seasoned bacon available in Italian food stores. If necessary substitute lean slab bacon, but first simmer it in water to cover for 5 minutes, then drain, pat dry and chop. Or, for a vegetarian soup, omit the pancetta. Because the vinegar is stirred in at the end, use the best brand you can find.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 yellow onion, coursely chopped
- 1 celery rib, with leave cut into 1/4 in thick slices
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/4 inch thick half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 firmly packed cups shredded savoy cabbage (or spinach, fresh or frozen)
- 1 (16 ounce) can peeled chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth or 1 3/4 cups chicken broth or 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, approximately 5 minutes.
- 3Add the following ingredients in the order given, cooking 1 minute before adding the next; onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, garlic and cabbage.
- 4Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- 5Stir in the water, broth, red wine, salt,thyme,cloves and pepper.
- 6Bring to a boil.
- 7Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, approximately 1 hour. Stir in the beans and cook for 5 minutes just until heated through.
- 8Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- 9Serve hot.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestrone Soup (Modena Style)
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.3
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 747.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: