Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
You will need about a two-cup jar..
- 1⁄4 cup red lentil
- 1⁄4 cup split peas
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons onion flakes
- 1⁄3 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄3 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 cup alphabet pasta, approximately
- In a two-cup jar, layer from bottom in the order given, then seal the jar.
- Include these instructions on your gift tag:.
- In a very large saucepan, combine 8-10 cups of water, a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes and soup mix.
- Add 2 chopped carrots, and 2-4 chopped potatoes (optional 2 cups chopped cabbage).
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cover and simmer for one hour or until peas are tender -- .
This was excellent! I made some up as gifts and kept one for myself to try. I didn't even bother adding the extra stuff like the carrots and tomatoes and opted to leave out the pasta as well because I wanted more like a pea soup style. It turned out great. My kids absolutely loved it. The only problem was that it needed quite a bit longer than 1 hour for the lentils to cook, more like 3 hours simmering on low. I'm going to make these to give out again this Christmas.
It was fun putting this mix together for Christmas gifts! I made 7 gifts and one for us. I made mine as directed and found that the pasta (small fusilli) was too over cooked, so I took the advice of the previous chef and packaged the pasta separately to be added at the end. This made an awesome pot of comforting soup. Love the fact it is low fat, high fibre. Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe!
I made these for Christmas gifts and kept one for myself. Everyone love it, So did I. I made a few changes. I put 3 beef boullion cubes in the mix, and used 1 14oz. can diced tomatoes with green bell peppers, undrained, 6 cups water, 1/2 cup small shell noodles, 2 potaoes, and 2 carrots. I also Oh yeah, I also browned 5 links (removed from casings) italian sausage in pot then adding other ingredients. I put noodles in small bag and placed on top of mix in jar. I instructed the noodles and potatos be added after 45 min. and cook addt. 10 min. Everything else I followed. It came out very hearty, a thick soup. Thanks I'll be making this often!