Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs 30 mins
Both my husband and I LOVE this minestrone soup. It's the only one I'll make! It's a very healthy soup with a wonderful tasting broth. You can leave out the ham if you wish (to make it meatless). It freezes well! I love that I can start this early in the day and forget about it. It's perfect served with some nice crusty bread. Enjoy!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup cubed deli ham (I use cubed ham steak)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- In a 5-quart slow cooker/crock pot, combine the first 9 ingredients; cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low; cook for 6 hours or until vegetables are almost tender.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the macaroni.
- Cover and cook until macaroni is tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes and spinach; heat through.
- Serve and enjoy! :).
This is a nice soup but I'm not sure what happened. I followed the recipe except I used kidney beans instead of chickpeas. Followed directions exactly letting the soup cook almost seven hours. The potatoes and carrots weren't real tender. I may try this again, only next time I may saute the veggies before putting them in the crockpot. Might also try this with ground beef instead of ham. Thanks for a neat recipe.
This was good. I just added the spinach and tomatoes with everything else. I also cooked the pasta separately then added it 15 min before serving. Worked well. Thanks ErikaBeMe