Recipe by dojemi
I cut this recipe out of our local newspaper years ago. You can add or delete any vegetable and meat may also be added. I'm submitting it as it was printed.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, with leaves,chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up,with liquid
- 3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (16 ounce) can peas (frozen peas may be used)
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice or 1 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni
- 8 cups water
- grated italian cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saucepan, saute' garlic and onion in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add all ingredients except the cheese and stir.
- Bring slowly to a boil.
- Lower heat and let simmer for one hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve very hot with plenty of grated cheese and sliced Italian bread with garlic butter.
- Can be made a day ahead.
- Hot water may be added if to thick.