1/1 Photo of Minestrone Soup
3 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This makes a BIG pot! It is very thick and concentrated. We always freeze in half quart containers and thin with broth or water. Leave out anything your family doesn't like, cut the recipe in half or quartered (soup is very forgiving)- I call this my fridge cleaner soup. Just about anything goes in minestrone. Try your family's faves- spinach goes well. Broccoli or cauliflower gets overdone and mushy as do pasta or rice so never add these. If you like pasta in your soup cook a handful while thawing out the base. All this is eyeballed- if it looks like it needs more of something just toss it in the pot. Leave out the meats if you'd prefer vegetarian or to cut down on fat. We live on this stuff throughout the winter months. I keep a container in the freezer and add bits of Parmesan ends or any strong flavoured cheese to toss in the pot (fish out later).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 2 chorizo sausages
- 2 sweet white onions, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cubed in 1-inch pieces
- 6 cups savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen Italian cut green beans
- 1 green zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow zucchini, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans small white beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (and more for topping the soup bowls)
- 1Sauté bacon, ground beef, & sausage (remove from casing and break up) in large deep fry pan.
- 2Add onion when the meat starst to brown.
- 3Continue cooking until onion softens then add garlic and stir for 2 minutes to take the raw edge off.
- 4While meat is browning, get out your biggest pot and start adding the tomatoes, carrots, rutabaga, broth, celery, spices.
- 5Bring to a boil, add browned meat. Simmer for 10 minutes then add everything else, pushing down the cabbage. Add a bit of water to make sure the cabbage is covered.
- 6One year I was trying to hurry this along and cooked the cabbage in another pot then mixed it inches Worked okay.
- 7It will look like too much but the cabbage shrinks a lot! Simmer until all veggies are almost soft. Add your drained beans and the cheese. Stir, taste and add more of what you feel it needs.
- 8If your soup pot looks ridiculously thick add some water but not too much. The point of this soup is to freeze thick and dilute later.
- 9This is why I add water (or broth) when it is thawed out. Takes less space in the freezer this way.
- 10Add half a cup of fresh Parmesan to the soup while cooking for a 'wow' flavour boost. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cool and transfer to containers.
- 11It does need to sit overnight to taste the best. If cold enough the pot can sit out on the deck.
- 12This makes a very thick soup. We freeze it in yogurt containers.
- 13If you want noodles, cook a handful then add to the soup before serving. This is wonderful with garlic bread and lots of Parmesan cheese!.
- 14I call this my 'Campbell's condensed' version of minestrone. I figured why add all the extra water (taking up freezer space) when I can do that later.
- 15I don't add salt to this soup because the bacon, cheese and tinned products have enough of the stuff.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestrone Soup
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.6
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.9 mg
- Sodium 710.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 22.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: