Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The best Minestrone soup EVER! Recipe comes from the Gourmet Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried white beans, rinsed (great northern or similar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb potato
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, chopped (or lean bacon)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 celery rib, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb zucchini, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups green cabbage, shredded (savory or similar)
- 1⁄2 lb kale, leaves chopped (remove stems and tough centers)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 4 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Soak beans in cold water to cover by 2 inches and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Drain and transfer to 3 quart heavy saucepan, add cold water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until tender, about 50 minutes (add more water if necessary to keep them covered in water).
- Add salt and simmer for 5 additional minutes.
- Remove from heat and let beans stand, uncovered.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 3/4 inch cubes; place in bowl and cover with cold water.
- Heat oil large heavy pot over moderate heat.
- Add pancetta and cook, stirring until crisp and pale golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and garlic and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well and add to pot along with the zucchini and green beans; cook stirring for 4 minutes.
- Add cabbage and kale and cook until cabbage is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Add drained tomatoes and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce heat; simmer for 1 hour.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid.
- In a blender or food processor, puree half of beans with 1 cup of the reserved liquid.
- Stir pureed beans into the soup.
- Add the remaining beans and reserved liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with grated cheese.
- Soup can be made up to 3 days in advance.