Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Serve this hearty soup with french bread or toasted bread to soak up every Yummy drop. Very good on a winter evening, easy to make, recipe can be doubled. Note: Fresh spinach can be used in place of the cabbage. Add it with the beans, zucchini & pasta.
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes, cut up
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon snipped basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans (cannellini) or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 1⁄2 ounces frozen Italian cut green beans
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 thick (1cup)
- 1⁄2 cup broken spaghetti or 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter or margarine in a heavy pot over medium heat; Add onions,celery and carrots, saute for a few minutes.
- Add chicken broth,tomatoes,tomato paste, cabbage, basil and garlic powder.
- Bring to boil,reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes; Stir in beans, green beans, zucchini and pasta.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender.
- Top each sreving with parmesan cheese,Enjoy.
Everyone agreed that this recipe is absolutely delicious!!! My husband and I put together the first part of the soup during our lunch hour and added the cabbage, etc. after work for a quick homemade dinner...used our canned tomatoes and dried basil from last summer's harvest...there wasn't a drop leftover!
I made this soup while my parents were visiting and we really enjoyed it. I substituted V-8 juice instead of the chicken broth, used mini cheese tortellini instead of spagetti and used fresh spinach instead of the cabbage because its what I had on hand. Next time will try with the cabbage. We loved this. It was fresh tasting and very filling. Even my picky Hubby who refuses to eat soup really loved this. Thank you for a heartly and flavorful recipe.
Great recipe and one I will certainly be making again. I think I will be adding a bit more seasonings next time;maybe some garlic and a touch of oregano.