Recipe by Barb G.
Serve this hearty soup with french bread or toasted bread to soak up every Yummy drop. Very good on a winter evening, easy to make, recipe can be doubled. Note: Fresh spinach can be used in place of the cabbage. Add it with the beans, zucchini & pasta.
Top Review by Trene1966
Everyone agreed that this recipe is absolutely delicious!!! My husband and I put together the first part of the soup during our lunch hour and added the cabbage, etc. after work for a quick homemade dinner...used our canned tomatoes and dried basil from last summer's harvest...there wasn't a drop leftover!
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes, cut up
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon snipped basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans (cannellini) or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 1⁄2 ounces frozen Italian cut green beans
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 thick (1cup)
- 1⁄2 cup broken spaghetti or 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter or margarine in a heavy pot over medium heat; Add onions,celery and carrots, saute for a few minutes.
- Add chicken broth,tomatoes,tomato paste, cabbage, basil and garlic powder.
- Bring to boil,reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes; Stir in beans, green beans, zucchini and pasta.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables and pasta are tender.
- Top each sreving with parmesan cheese,Enjoy.