Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Down Home Cookin'"
- 1⁄2 cup leek, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs parsley
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 cup kellog's all-bran cereal
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- snipped fresh parsley
- In 8 quart saucepan, cook and stir leeks, onion and garlic in oil. Add zucchini, carrots, potatoes and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes with liquid, broth, beans and seasonings. Cover; bring to a boil.
- Simmer 20 minutes; stir occasionally. Add peas; simmer 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove bay leaf and parsley. Stir in cereal. Serve garnished with Parmesan and snipped parsley.