Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is by far the best soup that I have ever had. I found this recipe in a cookbook called A Collection of the Very Finest Recipes. I have slightly adapted the recipe, but not by much.
- 453.59 g sweet sausage or 453.59 g hot sausage
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 236.59 ml carrot, diced
- 14.79 ml dried basil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thin
- 793.78 g can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (566.99 g) can beef bouillon
- 473.18 ml cabbage, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 425.24 g can great northern beans
- 118.29 ml rice, uncooked
- 118.29 ml red wine
- Saute sausage until brown.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, and basil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes with liquid, bouillon, cabbage, salt, and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for an hour.
- Rinse beans. Add the beans, rice, and wine.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until rice is done.
- You can eat this now and top with cheddar cheese, but it is even better the next day.
VERY GOOD... I added additional broth for a brothier soup.. It was a little too thick with just 2 cans of broth. This is real tasty!
Warm and rich soup that is perfect for a cold winter evening! I also used additional broth and it was delicious. Thanks for posting!
Changed the rice to noodles and added some parmesan, but other than that, no changes. Even the husband loved it!