Recipe by Scrivener1
This is by far the best soup that I have ever had. I found this recipe in a cookbook called A Collection of the Very Finest Recipes. I have slightly adapted the recipe, but not by much.
- 1 lb sweet sausage or 1 lb hot sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef bouillon
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute sausage until brown.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, and basil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes with liquid, bouillon, cabbage, salt, and pepper.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for an hour.
- Rinse beans. Add the beans, rice, and wine.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until rice is done.
- You can eat this now and top with cheddar cheese, but it is even better the next day.