Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Another recipe from DM's grey book...this was taken from our local paper The Sacramento Bee. We have made this up on quite a few cold nights for a meal and mmmmm mmmmm mmmm it is sooooo good.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 49 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- hot pepper flakes
- Italian spices
- parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Brown meat in olive oil in frying pan.
- Transfer meat to large stock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients except salt.
- Simmer 2 to 3 hours.
- Just before serving, add seasonings and parmesan cheese.
I had this soup cooking at 6am this morning to serve to DH for lunch, I did some amount adjustments and used ground chicken, I also added in 3 jalapeno peppers, this is a wonderful soup Char, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)
This is a great clean-out-the-fridge recipe that allowed me to chop up and use a bunch of produce I had on hand. I also used ground turkey, substituted small red beans, and seasoned the soup with Italian seasoning, dried basil, and a little cayenne pepper. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!