Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
An Italian friend of mine and I made this up 23 years ago. I'm sentimental about it.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 cups water
- 5 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 lb lima beans, in can
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups homemade spaghetti sauce
- Flour and brown the beef in veg. oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add the water, bouillon cubes, and beans. Simmer until meat is done.
- Add the bay leaf, parsley, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onions, and spaghetti sauce.
- Cook on low for 1 1/2- 2 hours.
Chef Kiddle WOW anyone wanting a filling and tasty meal cannot go wrong here. Should be called Minestrone Stew as it was thick and fragrant. The only changes I made were used 2x400gm cans of butter beans, drained (couldn't get lima), 2 cups of homemade beef stock plus 1.5 cups of water with 1.5 teaspoons of powdered beef stock, didn't have homemade spaghetti sauce so used 375gram jar of Dolmio's Stir Through Roast Garlic and herb and added .5 cup of water and also added 100grams of pasta (small shells) in the last 45 minutes while still on a simmer and stirred occassionally. I think there is enough to serve 5 or 6 people especially if served with crusty bread. Will freeze what is left over and see how it comes out at a later date and repost how that goes. Also used a cast iron enameled dutch oven on gas cook top. Thank you for a keeper.