Recipe by JenniferK2
A hearty authentic Minestrone soup! Great served topped with Parmesan cheese and with Italian bread.
- 1⁄4 lb green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and large diced
- 1⁄2 lb cabbage, shredded
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 28 ounces crushed plum tomatoes
- 42 ounces beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 16 ounces cannellini beans
- 1 cup ditalini
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in 6 quart stock pot over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 6-8 minutes until soft and golden, but not brown.
- Stir in carrots and potato; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add celery, green beans, zucchini, cabbage and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water and tomatoes to pot. Stir in all spices.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to low. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse and drain cannelini beans; add to pot along with pasta. Uncover and cook over medium-low heat 30 minutes until soup thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.