1 hr 30 mins
From A Taste of Italy (1996) by The American Cooking Guild: "Minestrone is a soup specialty of central and northern Italy. The soup might be ladled over slices of grilled country-style bread. The roots of this practice may stem from medieval times when castle servants made soup from wild herbs and recycled trenchers, which were large pieces of bread used as serving plates."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 cups savoy cabbage, shredded
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 quart beef broth (preferably rich)
- 1 quart water
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh herb, minced (parsley, basil, or marjoram)
- 3 small zucchini, cut into half-moon slices
- 1 cup Italian cut green beans, sliced (fresh or frozen, regular green beans are fine, too)
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 6 ounces genoa salami, diced in small cubes
- 1/2 cup pasta, small (like small shells)
- salt and black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce (see our Poppy Seed Pie)
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1In a large saucepan, heat oil.
- 2Saute onion and garlic 2-3 minutes.
- 3Add cabbage, celery, and carrots. Saute 5 minutes.
- 4Add broth, water, tomato paste, and herbs. Partially cover pan and simmer 30 minutes.
- 5Add zucchini, beans, and salami; cook 15 minutes.
- 6Add pasta; cook until al dente.
- 7Add salt and pepper.
- 8Stir in pesto sauce just before serving.
- 9Serve in large bowls with grated cheese.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestrone Alla Genovese (With Pesto)
Serving Size: 1 (515 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.9
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 29.4 mg
- Sodium 1307.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 21.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: