Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great in the winter.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 small red potatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 small zucchini, halved lengthwise, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini, drained (white kidney beans)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, crushed
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- 6 tablespoons classic pesto sauce
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add broth and next 7 ingredients. Increase heat to high and bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover pot, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach; simmer 3 minutes longer. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into 6 bowls; garnish each with 1 tablespoon pesto. Serve, passing cheese separately. Makes 6 servings.
This was a great soup! I did make a several changes due to what was on hand & made it vegetarian by using vegetable soup base. It went together quickly. I sauteed the onions, celery & carrots for a bit. Everyone really liked it. This will probably be better tomorrow, but my son has the leftovers at his house. Served with some great French bread.Omitted the potatoes (will try that another time), used one can of diced Italian flavored tomatoes, only about 1 cup of spinach as that is all I had, and used about 3/4 c. of pasta (instead of the potatoes), one can of cut green beans, and dark red kidney beans instead of the white beans.