Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium head of cabbage, chopped (3 cups)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney bean, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 46 ounces tomato juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups pasta, uncooked (small shells, chili mac)
- to taste parmesan cheese, grated, if desired
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook garlic and onion in oil about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese, breaking up tomatoes.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1/2-hour.
- Add pasta and cook an additional 1/2-hour.
- Serve with Parmesan.
This soup was delicious. The only change I made was to substitute fresh green beans (2 cups sliced)for the cabbbage. The addition of the dry white wine was a real plus, and added a depth to the flavor of the broth. Yummm!
25 reviews and no photos?! Sad... I'll fix that. :) Excellent recipe! I doubled the kidney beans and tomatoes. Added a little extra wine. Didn't have celery, so I increased the amount of carrots. Ommitted the garbanzoes and spinach. Added fresh green beans. I'm freezing the leftovers, so I cooked the pasta (mini shells) seperately. Will add when serving.
this sounds very similar to Olive Gardens recipe. But hint to everyone, don't add pasta till ready to serve, but it needs to be cooked pasta. otherwise, soup will be thick. (I worked at OG for 4 yeasr and have amde the soup numerous times, but have forgotten the specific recipe ,< )