Top Review by BigHeart
This soup was delicious. The only change I made was to substitute fresh green beans (2 cups sliced)for the cabbbage. The addition of the dry white wine was a real plus, and added a depth to the flavor of the broth. Yummm!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium head of cabbage, chopped (3 cups)
- 2 small zucchini, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney bean, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 46 ounces tomato juice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups pasta, uncooked (small shells, chili mac)
- to taste parmesan cheese, grated, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook garlic and onion in oil about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese, breaking up tomatoes.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1/2-hour.
- Add pasta and cook an additional 1/2-hour.
- Serve with Parmesan.