Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 16 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups firmly packed shredded cabbage
- 1 lb ripe roma tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef broth or 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth or 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in the pancetta and sauté for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.
- Add the next 6 ingredients, one at a time in the order listed, cooking for 1 minute after each addition.
- Add in the tomatoes, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the water, broth, wine, salt, thyme, cloves, and pepper; stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Add in the beans and cook for about 5 minutes or until heated.
- Add in the balsamic vinegar; stir to combine.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls while it is hot.