Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Women's Weekly Italian Cooking Class Cookbook. I've been making this recipe for many years & it's definitely our favourite. Great low fat meal if you omit the frying of vegetables in step 1 (which is what I normally do & I don't believe it makes that much difference to the end result). Could be vegetarian if you use veg stock cubes & omit butter. Great with either crusty bread or garlic bread.
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 3 ounces green beans, chopped into small pieces
- 8 ounces cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 5 cups water
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 25 ounces whole tomatoes, canned
- 15 ounces cannellini beans, canned, drained
- Heat oil and butter in large pan, add onions, cook over medium heat until onions are pale golden brown. Add carrots, cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Repeat this procedure with the potatoes, then the celery, zucchini, beans and cabbage.
- Stir in water, crumbled stock cubes and undrained, mashed tomatoes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until soup is thick.
- During last 15 minutes of cooking, stir in cannellini beans.
- Season with salt and pepper. If desired, grated parmesan cheese can be stirred into the soup before serving or served separately with the soup.
What a great vegetable soup Heydarl. I served it for dinner tonight and we really enjoyed it. Wow, what flavor and textures. I love that the flavor comes from the slow cooking of the vegetables. It was just wonderful, seasoned with a little salt, pepper and shredded parmesan. Thanks for sharing this tasty dish that I will make again often.
This recipe was included in Book#228608. April 8, 2008 -- Wow! What a great soup. I often make soup with dinner, although it isn't always a favorite with our son. Well, he LOVED this. He had three bowls of it. This soup has such rich flavor -- I've had canned minestrone before, but will never again buy it. This is so much superior and so fresh tasting. I sauteed the veggies in the oil and butter, and I added two cups more of water and I more tsp. of beef base, but we like a lot of broth. This soup is awesome -- if you're reading this review, trust me and make it. You will love it! Thanks, Heydarl.