Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This is an excellent minestrone. I got the original recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook. The original recipe called for tomato sauce. I only had spaghetti sauce on hand and I think the end result is very good. The original recipe also called for zucchini and/or eggplant which my family doesn't care for so green beans were substituted. I reduced the amount of olive oil to make it lower in fat.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 5 garlic cloves, minced (use fresh garlic only)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups water (more if needed)
- 1 (650 ml) jargood spaghetti sauce (meat free)
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 cup dry pasta (any shape)
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, minced
- parmesan cheese (use soy cheese if vegan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in nonstick Dutch oven.
- Add onion, garlic and salt.
- Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrot, green beans and seasonings.
- Cover and cook overy very low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper, water and spaghetti sauce.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Add pasta.
- Stir and cook until pasta is done.
- Serve topped with parsley and parmesan.