Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I have not yet made this, but want to keep it in my recipes to make for future lunches. It has been recommended by others with very good taste.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 slice pancetta, about 1oz, diced (I would leave this out)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (I would use more)
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced. (or a 28 can of diced, drained)
- 1 bunch swiss chard, stems removed, and leaves chopped coarsely
- 1 yukon gold potato
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut in smaller pieces (use fresh or frozen, not canned)
- 6 ounces yellow wax beans, trimmed and cut in smaller pieces (optional, IMO)
- 2 cups drained drained and rinsed canned cannellini beans
- 2 -3 pieces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, rind (REAL stuff(not green can)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup ditallini orzo pasta or 1⁄2 cup other tiny pasta
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Place a large, wide, heavy saucepan over med-low heat and add the olive oil. When hot, add the pancetta and cook, stirring until it begins to shrivel, about 3 minutes. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and stir to coat with oil. Cover the pan and cook until veggies are very soft but not brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the stock and tomatoes, raise the heat to medium and cook until large bubbles appear on the surface of the liquid. Stir in the chard, potato, green beans, canned beans cheese rind, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir well. Reduce heat so that only small bubbles appear on the surface, cover the pan and simmer until all the vegs are soft, about 45 minutes.
- Add the pasta into the soup and simmer until pasta is tender and soup has thickened, about 20 minutes, depending on pasta shape. I’ve been leaving the pasta out and cooking it separately, then combining in bowl when ready to serve. I don’t like bloated pasta.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Sprinkle with freshly grated parm. when serving.