1/2 Photos of Minestra (Escarole and Little Meatballs Soup)
1 hr 20 mins
Barefoot Beachcomber's Note:
Delicious and pretty to serve. From the Sopranos cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head escarole (about 1 pound)
- 6 quarts chicken broth
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces ditalini or 8 ounces tubetti or 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into bite size pieces
- 1Trim and clean the escarole.
- 2Stack the leaves and cut them crosswise into 1 inch strips.
- 3You should have about 4 cups.
- 4In a large pot, combine the escarole, broth and carrots.
- 5Bring to a simmer and cook until the escarole is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, mix together the meatball ingredients.
- 7Shape the mixture into tiny balls, less than 1 inch in diameter.
- 8When the escarole is cooked, stir in the pasta and return the soup to the simmer.
- 9Drop the meatballs into the soup.
- 10Cook over low heat, stirring gently, until the meatballs and pasta are cooked, about 20 minutes.
- 11Taste for seasoning.
- 12Serve hot with more grated Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestra (Escarole and Little Meatballs Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (1276 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 661.0
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 128.0 mg
- Sodium 3880.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 51.1 g