Delicious and pretty to serve. From the Sopranos cookbook.
Make and share this Minestra (Escarole and Little Meatballs Soup) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head escarole (about 1 pound)
- 6 quarts chicken broth
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces ditalini or 8 ounces tubetti or 8 ounces spaghetti, broken into bite size pieces
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup very finely minced onion
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh pepper
- Trim and clean the escarole.
- Stack the leaves and cut them crosswise into 1 inch strips.
- You should have about 4 cups.
- In a large pot, combine the escarole, broth and carrots.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the escarole is almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the meatball ingredients.
- Shape the mixture into tiny balls, less than 1 inch in diameter.
- When the escarole is cooked, stir in the pasta and return the soup to the simmer.
- Drop the meatballs into the soup.
- Cook over low heat, stirring gently, until the meatballs and pasta are cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve hot with more grated Parmesan.