1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Use a first rate rustic bread for this recipe. It doesn't work near as well with the grocery store variety. Purests will tell you that this soup is better heated the second day and should be thick enough by then to eat with a fork!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onions or 1 leek, chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely
- 2 celery ribs, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb tuscan kale or 1/2 lb cabbage or 1/2 lb kale or 1/2 lb swiss chard, shredded
- 1/2 medium cabbage, shredded
- 3 large carrots, quartered,cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 lb winter squash, peeled,cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 large all purpose potato, peeled,cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3 -5 fresh sage leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 cups bean broth or 7 cups water
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups cooked white beans
- 8 slices of toasted rustic bread, 1 3/4 inches thick rubbed with
- 1Put the onion, garlic, and celery in a 5qt pot.
- 2Pour extra virgin oil over them, toss with a wooden spoon to coat with the oil, and place over low heat.
- 3cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until onions are tender Add the Tuscan kale, cabbage, kale or swiss chard, cabbage, carrots, squash, potato, fresh herbs and broth or water and bring to a simmer Cook the soup, stirring occasionally for 1 hour over low heat.
- 4Remove the rosemary sprig and the bay leaf.
- 5Add salt and pepper to tast.
- 6Puree 5 cups of vegies from the soup with 1 cup of beans in a food processor.
- 7Return the puree to the soup Place 1 slice of toasted bread in each soup bowl and ladle soup over bread.
- 8Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and serve.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestra di Fagioli (Bean Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (2989 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.1
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 1445.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.9 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 30.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves