3 hrs 30 mins
Yummy soup, just in time for fall. From the cookbook Cucina Ebraica. This is a Jewish-Italian cookbook with great recipes. Prep time includes time for the lentils to soak.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the lentils in a bowl with water to cover and let soak for a few hours.
- 2Drain and place in a saucepan with the onions, carrots, celery, tomato puree, parsley, and enough water to cover by about 2 inches. This may be more or less than 4 cups. Use your best judgement.
- 3Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until the lentils are tender; about 15 or 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile season the meat with salt and pepper and form into marble sized meatballs.
- 5Melt the fat in a pan and brown the balls on all sides.
- 6Add the meatballs and the fat from the pan to the soup and simmer until cooked through.
- 7Season to taste and serve in heated bowls.
Browse Our Top Jewish (Ashkenazi) Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jewish (Ashkenazi) Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestra Di Esau (Lentil Soup W. Meatballs)
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.1
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 60.4 mg
- Sodium 96.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.7 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 31.9 g