Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Yummy soup, just in time for fall. From the cookbook Cucina Ebraica. This is a Jewish-Italian cookbook with great recipes. Prep time includes time for the lentils to soak.
- Place the lentils in a bowl with water to cover and let soak for a few hours.
- Drain and place in a saucepan with the onions, carrots, celery, tomato puree, parsley, and enough water to cover by about 2 inches. This may be more or less than 4 cups. Use your best judgement.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Simmer until the lentils are tender; about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile season the meat with salt and pepper and form into marble sized meatballs.
- Melt the fat in a pan and brown the balls on all sides.
- Add the meatballs and the fat from the pan to the soup and simmer until cooked through.
- Season to taste and serve in heated bowls.