1 hr 5 mins
This is a very conforting soup my Mum use to make a lot. Unortunately, I don't have her recipe but recently found this one in our local paper, courtesy of Ike DeLorenzo. He suggests using the best sausage you can find for this dish. His choice, cacciatorini, a dry, aged, spicy salami or pork and beef, or salsiccia Napoletana piccante, an excellent dry sausage from Naples. The use of the Parmedan rind flavors the whole soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 lb dry salami, grated with a large-hole grater (or pepperoni)
- 2 (32 ounce) packages chicken stock
- parmesan cheese, rind (or other hard cheese) (optional)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans (rinsed with cold water)
- 2 heads escarole (or 1 head excarole mixed with dandelion greens or other greens, coarsely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 ounces fresh spinach (stemmed)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (for serving)
- 1In a soup pot over medium heat, heat the oil.
- 2Cook garlic, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- 3Add salami (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until it begins to render its fat.
- 4Add the chicken stock and cheese rind (if using).
- 5Simmer for 15 minutes.
- 6In a bowl with a fork, mash about 1 cup of the beans, set aside.
- 7Meanwhile, in a steamer over boiling water, steam the escarole and other greens for 15 minutes.
- 8Add the escarole, red pepper, and cannellini beans (mashed and whole) to the pot.
- 9Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- 10Add the spinach and cook 5 minutes more or until it wilts.
- 11Remove the cheese rind,(if using).
- 12Taste the soup for seasoning and add more dalt and pepper, if needed.
- 13Ladel into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestra
Serving Size: 1 (551 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 402.6
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.6 mg
- Sodium 517.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.5 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 25.1 g