Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A good soup for a cool fall day. Note this recipe has no meat or meat stock.
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery rib
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb fresh spinach
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup small shell pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cut onion, carrot, celery into thick matchstick strips.
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan, and fry vegetable strips until just browned, stirring occasionally.
- Pour on water, add salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Wash and cut spinach leaves into shreds, add to soup and cook for 10 minutes.
- Scald and skin tomatoes and chop roughly, removing the seeds.
- Add tomatoes, pasta, garlic, parsley, and rosemary to the soup, and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.