Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
For those of you in Wisconsin that know Hartford well, this is the recipe they use at the Mineshaft Restaurant for their carrot cake. It's the only one I'll make.
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 lb butter, softened
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb powdered sugar
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla. Beat well.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add sugar mixture to flour mixture alternately with pineapple; mix well.
- Add carrots, raisins, coconut, and walnuts to already mixed cake batter.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 1 hour or until cake tests done.
- For frosting, combine butter, vanilla, cream cheese, and enough powdered sugar to thicken slightly; beat well.
- Thin frosting, if needed, by adding milk or cream, a tablespoonful at a time.
- Beat until smooth.