Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I delicious, hearty, supper pie that my family absolutely loves.
- 1 large ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch style beans (do NOT drain)
- 1 can kidney bean (drained)
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups hot seasoned mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine meats, dry seasonings, 1 egg, breadcrumbs, and water.
- Mix well, and press into the bottom of large casserole (I use a 10x2 round corningware).
- Build up sides slightly, to make a"well".
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Drain off any excess fat.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine Ranch Style Beans with DRAINED kidney beans, onion, and orcestershire sauce.
- Spoon mixture into meat"shell".
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Remove from oven and immediately top with shredded cheese.
- Set oven to"Broil" Mix potatoes with egg.
- Carefully spread over bean and cheese mixture, sealing to the edge of the dish.
- Broil 4 inches from heat source, about 5 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, to cool.
- Cut into wedges or serve with a big spoon.
Wow, this is wonderful comfort food!! It is huge, hearty and delicious! Kinda like a stuffed, mashed potato iced, meatloaf pie!! I was quite surprized that it cut beautifully into easily removed wedges. DH thought it was great, it would be very good for when the grandkids visit and would make a wonderful family meal. I served it with a green salad and a hot relish, great meal. We ate about a third of it and I have made two packages of the leftovers and am freezing them. It will be interesting to see how it will reheat. Should be good!! Another time I think I will try filling it with fresh veggies, asparagus, tomato, onion slices,green beans etc., just for a change from the baked beans, and a few less calories for us older folk. Thanks for sharing, I'll be passing this one on to my daughter in law, I'm sure the family will love it !!