Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Awesome Manhattan Clam Chowder recipe from my mother-in-law. I made it because my brother-in-law is coming into town tonight and I am now worried that my husband is going to finish it off before he arrives!
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 -8 small red potatoes, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans clams, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can baby clams
- 2 (8 ounce) jars clam juice
- 1⁄8 cup barley
- 3 tablespoons pastina (or other small pasta, like stars)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter and saute onion until soft.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Cover and simmer on medium low heat for one hour, stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender.