Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe came to me through another mincemeat enthusiast some years ago.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups mincemeat
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour melted butter into 13"x9" baking dish, tilting to cover bottom completely.
- Scatter 1/4 cup brown sugar & the 1 cup chopped walnuts over butter.
- Spread mincemeat over nuts, & set pan aside.
- Sift remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar into large bowl, then whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt & spices, blending thoroughly.
- In large mixer bowl, beat shortening & sugar together until light & creamed.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla.
- Set mixer on low speed & mix in dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk.
- Pour over mincemeat.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from oven & immediately loosen sides of cake.
- Invert onto large platter, but leave pan in place for 5 minutes before CAREFULLY lifting off.
- May be served warm or cooled, with sweetened whipped cream or with ice cream.