Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an interesting recipe I picked up about 10 years ago -- Although the source is totally forgotten, the taste of the sundae hasn't been! Preparation time INCLUDES NEITHER the time needed for the crust to freeze [about 30 minutes], the time for the ice cream to soften [about 15 minutes], the time for the sauce to cool [about 3 minutes], NOR the 12 hours for the pie to freeze overnight!
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 1⁄4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
FOR THE FILLING
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup mincemeat (made without suet)
FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (6 ounce) jar maraschino cherries (optional)
- FOR THE CRUST: Combine wafer crumbs, pecans, butter, sugar & cinnamon.
- Press into bottom & 1 1/2" up side of 10" greased springform pan.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- FOR THE FILLING: Place ice cream in bowl, & let stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to soften.
- Stir in mincemeat until evenly distributed.
- Carefully pack into crumb crust.
- Cover & freeze overnight or for up to 4 weeks.
- FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE: In saucepan, bring sugar & cream to boil.
- Stirring occasionally, cook for 3-4 minutes or until thickened enough to coat spoon. DO NOT OVER COOK.
- Stir in vanilla, & let cool 3 minutes. [Sauce can be cooked completely & stored in airtight container for up to 4 weeks. Reheat over medium heat before serving.].
- To serve, drizzle caramel sauce over pieces of pie.
- To make it even more festive, chop a maraschino cherry for each slice of pie, & sprinkle over the caramel sauce.