Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
My grandma made these every year for Thanksgiving. We can't go without them! A little oaty, not too sweet, with a little tang from the spices. A good foil against the richness of so many other holiday desserts.
- 1 (9 ounce) box mincemeat, concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk, diluted with 1-2 t water
- First reconstitute the mincemeat according to package directions using the above ingredients. Cook for one minute, just to rehydrate the mincemeat. Let mincemeat cool while you make the crumb pastry.
- Combine brown sugar, rolled oats, flour and salt. Mix well. Cut in the margarine with 2 knives or a pastry blender until it has reached the consistency of coarse crumbs.
- Spread half this mixture in a 11x7" pan. Cover well with mincemeat. Spread remaining half of crumb mixture on the mincemeat.
- Brush with diluted egg yolk. Bake at 400* for 20-25 minutes. When cool cut into squares.