Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Store-bought mincemeat is loaded with sugar. If you are a mincemeat lover, you will be amazed at the taste of this.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells
- 1⁄2 lb beef stew meat
- 2 medium apples
- 1 orange, with rind
- 1⁄2 lemon, with rind
- 1⁄4 lb suet
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 3 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 dash mace (optional)
- Prepare but do not bake pie shell.
- Place stew meat in covered saucepan and cover with water.
- Place on medium heat and cook about 1 hour or til very tender.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Core apples and slice.
- Cut orange and lemon (including rind) into small pieces.
- Combine beef, suet, orange and lemon pieces in food processor, chopping into coarse meal consistency.
- Pour back into saucepan.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer on low for one hour.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake 400°F 25 minutes.
Nice balance of fruit, spice. Not too sweet. Fiber rich. Would be good with a shot of brandy or rum. Who could ask for more? When I cooked the mixture it seemed too dry so I added back the stock from the stew beef. The pie baked up just fine. I doubled the receipe and that gave me enough for three 9 in. pies.