Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Easy, fairly quick bread that has a mincemeat taste to it. This is a recipe I got off the web by Linda Stradley.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, cream eggs, vegetable shortening, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Fold in mincemeat and walnuts.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture.
- stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- Sprinkle top with powdered sugar.
Very impressed - we like the dense, nutty, not-too-sweet aspects of this loaf, and the mincemeat enhances subtly, not overbearingly. (I thought it might be a fruitcake clone...not even close.) Omitted the powdered sugar..don't miss it. Hearty and healthy..we're happy. Thanks for posting this one.