The winter holidays aren't complete unless there are cookies like these on the table! Festive & tasty! Preparation time includes NEITHER the 2 hours needed to chill the dough before shaping into logs, NOR the time needed to freeze the logs until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With electric mixer, in large mixing bowl, beat butter until creamy, then gradually add both sugars, beating well.
- Add egg & almond extract, beating well.
- Add mincemeat & cherries, & blend well.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder & salt.
- Add flour mixture to liquid mixture, beating well.
- Stir in pecans, then cover & chill dough 2 hours.
- When dough has cooled, shape into two 6" to 8" logs.
- Wrap logs in wax paper & freeze until firm.
- When frozen, slice dough into 1/4" slices, & place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 12-14 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
- NOTE: If you want an easy [as well as festive] pie or cheesecake crust, crumble these cookies & press them onto the bottom of a springform pan or pie plate!
Fantastic cookie to use up that left over mincemeat. I halved the granulated sugar and that suited us just well.
Great holiday cookie recipe, not too sweet and a wonderful old-fashioned home quality. My Mom said she had fond memories of eating ones prepared by her grandmother, but we did not have that recipe. According to her, this one is even better than the ones her grandmother made.