Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe came from one of my friends who also loved mincemeat as much as I do!
Make and share this Mincemeat Chews recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In medium bowl, cream shortening & sugar.
- Add molasses, egg & vanilla, & beat well.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt & ginger.
- Add flour mixture to shortening mixture, & combine well.
- Add mincemeat & nuts, & combine well.
- Add oats, & combine well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes, then cool on wire rack.
These were fantastic!! I used golden syrup in place of the molasses with great results. Like Peggy, mine baked in about 10 minutes, and I got about 4 dozen biscuits, but with DH around, I'm sure those won't last too long. Next time I think I might add some crystallized ginger too. Very tasty! Thanks Sydney Mike!
These biscuits/cookies are sensational. And they are already part of family lore. It is yet another recipe for which I forgot a main ingredient -- the oats. The kids will needle me about this for years to come. The first tray of biscuits were in the oven and spreading like mad -- to the size of dinner plates it seemed -- when I noticed the bowl of oats. Yikes! The remaining dough was retrieved and the oats were stirred in. Rescue complete. But I have to say, the biscuits are fabulous with and without the oats, and both versions of the dough are delicious, too. Sydney Mike, now I know why you adore mincemeat (or fruit mince as we call it in Australia). By the way, I got 48 good-sized biscuits, not the 18 noted in the recipe. Also, mine baked in 10-12 minutes. Oh, and I used honey rather than molasses because I had it on hand. Outstanding! Thanks!