Recipe by Jewels in Woodinville, WA
I created this recipe for the Bake-a-thon in honor of CoolMonday who recently lost her battle with cancer. I did not know her or her husband but I was touched this morning when I read of them and the Bake-a-thon hosted by ChefFiFi. These bars are a great holday dessert, but could be enjoyed any time of the year. I have to confess, I love mincemeat but I am not a pie crust maker so I created these for the mincemeat taste but SO easy! My <3 goes out to CoolMonday's family.
Top Review by Diamondlil
Although these were very easy to make, I didn't care for how the top crust turned out. The top crust was very powdery and tasted just like you were eating dry cake mix. The bottom crust turned out OK. This recipe was just so so for me. I will eat them, but I probably will not make them again. I followed the recipes exactly as written.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 (27 ounce) jar mincemeat
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Grease or spray 13 x 9 pan.
- Combine cake mix, oatmeal and melted butter in mixing bowl.
- Reserving 1 cup of mixture, spread remaining mix into prepared pan, gently pressing to form bottom "crust".
- Spread prepared mincemeat over crust.
- Sprinkle mincemeat with remaining cake mix mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
- These could be made in a tart pan with a removable bottom and cut into thin wedges.