Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe was found online at southernfood.about.com.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
the taste was great however it baked out slightly on the watery side but after sitting for a while it seemed to firm up slightly, if I make again I will reduce the cranberry juice to 3 tablespoons, we enjoyed this thanks for sharing Syd!
- 4 cups tart apples, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 cup mincemeat
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup cranberry juice
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, & butter a 9" square baking dish.
- Spread half the apple slices in the baking dish.
- Combine mincemeat, nuts, dates & chocolate chips, then spread mixture over apples.
- Pour cranberry juice over the mincemeat layer, then cover that with the remaining apple slices.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & butter, mixing with fingertips until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over apples in baking dish.
- Bake 55-60 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.