Recipe by debbillem
Old family favorite. I always make for my Dad to have all winter. Very good and quite easy.
Top Review by sumwontoluv
the second time i made this i had to skip the apple juice.
i found it to be much better.
it is just a personal preference: i do not care for pineapple juice.
thanks again for sharing.
- 3 lbs venison neck meat or 3 lbs moose neck (if no wild game is available use beef)
- 1⁄2 lb suet
- 2 1⁄2 quarts chopped pared apples
- 2 lbs seedless raisins
- 1⁄4 lb citron
- 2 tablespoons candied orange peel
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cloves
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 grated lemon, juice and rind of
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer meat in small amount of water until tender.
- Simmer until 3/4 cups broth remains.
- Cool meat and grind finely with suet.
- Add apples and raisins to meat mixture.
- Combine remaining ingredients except vinegar and butter in a saucepan, heat to boiling then add vinegar and butter.
- Put all ingredients in large roaster, put in 275 oven covered for 6-7 hours.
- Stir occasionally.
- Put enough for pie (or cookies!) in freezer bags, freezes very well.