Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe comes from Wolfgang Puck's Chinois Restaurant. My WP recipe book says it is a favorite among customers.
- 453.59 g ground white chicken breast
- 3 green onions, trimmed and minced
- 4.92 ml kosher salt (I omit because the soy sauce has plenty of salt)
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- 59.14 ml seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 59.14 ml dry white wine
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml hoisin sauce
- 29.58 ml peanut oil (I use much less or you can use a non-stick pan and cooking spray)
- 22.18 ml garlic, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml ginger, finely chopped
- 1.23 ml red pepper flakes, crushed
- 29.58 ml cilantro, chopped fresh
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (I prefer Butter lettuce)
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken and minced green onions. Add the kosher salt and pepper, and mix together well. Form into a large patty. Mix together the rice wine vinegar, wine, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce in a bowl or measuring cup and set aside.
- Heat a wok over high heat, or an electric wok to 400 degrees. Add the oil and when smoking, carefully set the ground chicken patty in the wok. Brown on one side, then carefully break up and add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Continue to stir until the chicken is thoroughly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the rice wine vinegar mixture and cook, stiring, until the liquid has just about evaporated, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Stir in the cilantro or if desired, mint.
- Cut away the base of the lettuce and remove the outer leaves. Use the smaller inner leaves for cups. Place 2 or 3 cups on each plate, or line a platter, top with salad and serve.
I can understand why this minced garlic chicken recipe would be customers favourite at Wolfgang Puck's Chinois Restaurant, it's pack full of flavours. I made this last night and the whole family enjoyed it. The only change I would make is to leave out the salt, as the salt in the soy and hoisin sauces is more then enough. Thanks so much for posting this yummy recipe Nancy's Pantry.
Made for the FYC Tag Game & I was mostly faithful to the recipe. Like other reviewers, I omitted the salt. That seemed common to the reviews & DH is salt-restricted anyway. I loved Jan's idea of adding some textural crunch here, so I also opted to add sml carrot & snow pea sticks. This was served w/simple steamed rice, which often joined the chicken mixture in the lettuce leaves. We loved this, Nancy. So packed w/flavor & works as a starter course or a main-dish. A winner for us. :-)
Tonight hubby told me that we are going to have to remember this recipe. I adjusted a bit to taste. We need a little variety so I used ground turkey this week. I omitted the salt and black pepper and finished with mint and chopped water chestnuts. We love all of these flavors and loved them together in this dish.