Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A not too far from traditional Chinese dish served in many restaurants near here. These make a great lunch or starter for a dinner party. Serving amount is an estimate for lunch portions. From the Kikkoman website. Cook time does not include chilling time. I usually serve these "warmish."
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 8 ounces ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 heads iceberg lettuce
- 2 tablespoons scallions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup jicama
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Heat a medium saute pan over high heat, add the peanut oil and the minced chicken. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through. Add the ginger and cook another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and drain, then chill.
- Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and sugar to make dressing. Set aside.
- Cut the core from the iceberg lettuce and soak in ice water for 10 minutes to help separate the leaves. Carefully remove the leaves from the heads of lettuce one at a time, then take each leaf and trim into a perfect circle using kitchen scissors. You should get about 12 nice lettuce cups out of each head, depending on the size and condition of the lettuce. You can save the leftovers to add to salad.
- Combine the chicken, scallions and jicama with the dressing, and place about 3 T of the mixture into each lettuce cup. Garnish with pomegranate seeds. I left the seeds off as they were impossible to find when I made these.