Recipe by Jenny Thetford
A hearty winter meal on its own or a light tasty summer meal with salad. I've been making this for years and have forgotten where it came from, but I know that now it's got my own personal recipe additions of more of everything. It's become the favourite of my children and their friends...and their friends.
Top Review by Breeza
Really easy and very tasty! Didn't feel like using noodles and had heaps of leftover rice so subbed that and it was still really good, a hit with my 10 mo daughter. Used jarred pasta sauce as I was out of plain tomato sauce. Next time I'll add some veggies to the meat sauce as I felt a bit guilty there weren't any in there but if served with a salad it wouldn't matter. Update 11/15- one of my favorite go-to recipes for making meals for people who need it, new mums, friends moving house, sick caretakers, etc. So easy to prep and freeze, ready to heat in the oven when needed. Seriously I have it memorized now and don't even have to read instructions any more I make it that often. I always hide veggies in the sauce by blitzing them in my thermomix first. It bulks it out and adds great flavor. I always do carrot, zucchini, onion and celery but any veggies would work. I use a pasta sauce for a bit more flavor as passata sauce is more bland when I've done it, and occasionally if I need to spread it into a bigger dish I add a tin of diced tomatoes to the sauce and make more noodles. The egg noodles are super yum. Great recipe!
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or combination of sauces to taste)
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (equivalent to two teaspoons beef stock powder)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (mixed in sufficient water to make a paste)
- 2 cups water
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash olive oil or 1 dash preferred oil
- salt and pepper
- 300 g egg noodles, fetteccine or linguine (I prefer egg noodles)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil egg noodles (fetteccine or linguine) in water until al dente.
- Rinse, drain and leave.
- Brown minced beef in oil, stirring regularly.
- Add crushed stock cubes (or powder).
- Add water.
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Add mixed herbs.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in corn flour paste until mixture combines and thickens.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir, then take from heat.
- In a large oblong or square casserole dish, spread half the noodles.
- Spoon, spread and cover the noodles with half the meat mixture.
- Spread half the grated cheese over the meat mixture.
- Repeat a noodle, meat and cheese layer.
- Bake in medium oven (180C degrees or 350F degrees) 'till browned.
- Take from oven, cut into meal portions and serve with fresh salad and crusty bread.
- Can be made before hand and heated when the hordes arrive for their favourite meal.