Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A hearty winter meal on its own or a light tasty summer meal with salad. I've been making this for years and have forgotten where it came from, but I know that now it's got my own personal recipe additions of more of everything. It's become the favourite of my children and their friends...and their friends.
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or combination of sauces to taste)
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (equivalent to two teaspoons beef stock powder)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (mixed in sufficient water to make a paste)
- 2 cups water
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash olive oil or 1 dash preferred oil
- salt and pepper
- 300 g egg noodles, fetteccine or linguine (I prefer egg noodles)
- Boil egg noodles (fetteccine or linguine) in water until al dente.
- Rinse, drain and leave.
- Brown minced beef in oil, stirring regularly.
- Add crushed stock cubes (or powder).
- Add water.
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Add mixed herbs.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in corn flour paste until mixture combines and thickens.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir, then take from heat.
- In a large oblong or square casserole dish, spread half the noodles.
- Spoon, spread and cover the noodles with half the meat mixture.
- Spread half the grated cheese over the meat mixture.
- Repeat a noodle, meat and cheese layer.
- Bake in medium oven (180C degrees or 350F degrees) 'till browned.
- Take from oven, cut into meal portions and serve with fresh salad and crusty bread.
- Can be made before hand and heated when the hordes arrive for their favourite meal.
Really easy and very tasty! Didn't feel like using noodles and had heaps of leftover rice so subbed that and it was still really good, a hit with my 10 mo daughter. Used jarred pasta sauce as I was out of plain tomato sauce. Next time I'll add some veggies to the meat sauce as I felt a bit guilty there weren't any in there but if served with a salad it wouldn't matter.
i am delighted to have found this menu. it was so easy, interesting and tasty. each of my three children asked the following evening if there were any left overs of this dish. my husband and i however had finished it for lunch. a very unusual reaction indeed. thank you
My oh is still talking about how wonderful this tasted. I used organic stock from the farmers market. Thank you for an easy cheap hit. xxxx