Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A hearty winter meal on its own or a light tasty summer meal with salad. I've been making this for years and have forgotten where it came from, but I know that now it's got my own personal recipe additions of more of everything. It's become the favourite of my children and their friends...and their friends.
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or combination of sauces to taste)
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 beef bouillon cubes (equivalent to two teaspoons beef stock powder)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (mixed in sufficient water to make a paste)
- 2 cups water
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash olive oil or 1 dash preferred oil
- salt and pepper
- 300 g egg noodles, fetteccine or linguine (I prefer egg noodles)
- Boil egg noodles (fetteccine or linguine) in water until al dente.
- Rinse, drain and leave.
- Brown minced beef in oil, stirring regularly.
- Add crushed stock cubes (or powder).
- Add water.
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Add mixed herbs.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in corn flour paste until mixture combines and thickens.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir, then take from heat.
- In a large oblong or square casserole dish, spread half the noodles.
- Spoon, spread and cover the noodles with half the meat mixture.
- Spread half the grated cheese over the meat mixture.
- Repeat a noodle, meat and cheese layer.
- Bake in medium oven (180C degrees or 350F degrees) 'till browned.
- Take from oven, cut into meal portions and serve with fresh salad and crusty bread.
- Can be made before hand and heated when the hordes arrive for their favourite meal.