Recipe by yankeeecho
By mid-winter, when fruit here in the north is long past fresh-picked, this pie satisfies my fruit cravings. The recipe allows for variations depending on what's in the pantry.
- 2 cortland apples
- 1⁄4 cup packed chopped dried cherries or 1⁄4 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄4 cup packed chopped dried cranberries or 1⁄4 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup packed chopped dates or 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup prune
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 3 tablespoons apricot jam or 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- ready-made pie crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place dried fruit and water in small saucepan. Bring to boil and remove from heat. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Peel, core and dice apples into 1/4" bits.
- Combine apples, dried fruit plus remaining water, sugar, margarine and jam until all fruit is coated evenly.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake 10 minutes on lower oven rack.
- Reduce heat to 350F and bake 15-20 mins., until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool 30 minutes before slicing.